LIBERTY (US 40) yacht

The LIBERTY a 12-metre yacht was built for the America Cup Race at Newport, Rhode Island.
Built by Newport Offshore Ltd. at Newport for the Freedom Campaign ’83 SUNY at Fort Schuyler. The designer of the yacht was Johan Valentijn.
June 1983 launched as LIBERTY (US 40).
Displacement 28.5 ton, dim. 20.11 x 3.74 x 2.77m. (draught), length on waterline 13.71m.
Sail area 169.55 m².
Skipper Dennis Conner.

She was defender of the New York Yacht Club in 1983 the challenger was the Australian yacht AUSTRALIA II of the Royal Perth Yacht Club.
The race was sailed from 14 September till 26 September in which the LIBERTY won three races and the AUSTRALIA II won four races and was declared the winner of the cup, after 132 years the cup was lost by the USA.
1986 The LIBERTY was sold to the Sail America Foundation in San Diego, CA. USA.
1988 Sold to America Cup Organizing Committee, San Diego, not renamed.
1989 Sold to Japan, not renamed.
Her whereabouts are unknown but it is believed she sunk in Kobe , Japan in the early 1990’s.
Antigua 1987 $5 sgMS1076, scott
Barbuda 1987 $5 sgMS940. scott
Grenada of Grenadines 1992 $2 sg1583, scott
Belize 1987 75c sg986, scott (the stamp gives that the STAR AND STRIPES is showed but the sail No is US 40 which belongs to the LIBERTY.)

COALING AT CASTRIES

The stamp shows a steamship coal bunkering in Castries, St Lucia, the coal was loaded by mostly women who carried a basket full of coal on her head from the shore to tip it in the bunkers of the moored steamer. The steamer shown on the stamp is not identified.
In the second half of the 19th century Castries became an important bunkering port for coal, due to her deep and sheltered harbour, they could accommodate even the largest Royal Navy ships for bunkering.
Welsh coal was shipped to Castries, which was then supplied to ships which needed coal bunkers.
By the turn of the century Castries was the 14th most important coal bunkering port in the world.
During the 1930s oil got more important and the bunkering of coal declined around the world.
Saint Lucia 2002 65c sg?, scott?
Source: Internet various sites.

PINNACE

PINNACE was a fast maneuverable, relatively narrow square vessel of the late 17th century through the 18th century. Mostly used in the north of Europe and Portugal.
Used as a merchantman and whaler but also as a warship when needed. She resembled a jacht (yacht) and was often confused with it. The 17th century vessels had two decks, a forecastle and a half deck at the stern. Soft V shape bottom; angular bilges, tumble home to sides above the waterline. Ornamented beakhead and stern.
Armed with 18 guns.
Square rigged on fore- and mainmast, lateen and mizzen topsail on the mizzen mast. Larger ships had a spritsail and a sprit topsail (as seen on stamp) below the bowsprit.
Crew 60-70.
Dimensions: 35 – 45.7m long, 7.6 – 11.6 m wide. Tonnage from 150 to 800 ton.

Guinea 2002 4000F sgMS?, scott2071.

Source: Aak to Zumbra, a Dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.

AMERICA II (US 46) yacht

The AMERICA II (US 46) was nominated as official team challenger and the only yacht which took part in the America’s Cup Louis Vuitton Challenge’s Race in Freemantle, Australia.
AMERICA II (US 46) was one of the three 12-metres yacht all named AMERICA II only the sail number was different, the others carried the No. US 42 and 44. Which yacht is depict on the stamp is difficult to say, not a sail number is visible, all were in Freemantle but the US 46 was the only yacht used in the Challenge Race, the other two yachts were used for training.
All three yachts were built as a 12-metre yacht by the Williams & Manchester Shipyard in Newport, Rhode Island for the America II Syndicate USMMA Foundation, representing the New York Yacht Club.
The US 46 was designed by Sparkman & Stephens, M.W. Langan.
Built in 1986.
Displacement 27.3 ton, dim. 19.72 x 3.35 x 2.62m, (draught), length on waterline 13.68m.
Sail area 140.64 m².
After completing she was shipped to Australia, the last of the AMERICA II yachts to arrive.
She sailed under skipper John Kolius in the Louis Vuitton Races, she did not reach the semi-finals.
After the America Cup the AMERICA II (US 46) was shipped back to the United States.
1989 Sold to Lennard A. Gulson at San Diego CA, USA. She was used in the movie “Wind” under the name FIDDLER.
1993 Sold to US 46 LLC (Alfred B. Van Liew), Newport, R.I. still named FIDDLER.
2005 Sold to Scott MacLeod in CT, USA, renamed again in AMERICA II.
2006 Sold to Manhattan Sailing Club, Manhattan, NY, USA not renamed. She was bought by members of that club to celebrate the club’s 20th anniversary, she was donated by the members in 2012 to the New York Harbor Sailing Foundation.
2014 Still owned by the Foundation and used for sailing with paying passengers in New York harbour.
Solomon Island 1987 $1 sg570a, scott570g.
Belize 1987 25c sg985, scott?
Source: http://www.12mrclass.com/yacht-search/d ... 05347.html Internet

CRUSADER / WHITE CRUSADER

The 12m yacht CRUSADER was built by Cougar Marine for the British America’s Cup Challenges PLC, representing the Royal Thames Yacht Club.
The yacht was designed by Ian Howlett.
February 1986 launched at Hamble, U.K as the CRUSADER (I), the yacht was christened by HRH Princess Diana.
Displacement 26 ton, dim. 1981 x 3.81 x 2.71m. (draught), length on waterline 13.77m.
Sail area 164.55m²
She was built for the contest of the 1987 America Cup in Fremantle, Australia.
1986 Renamed in WHITE CRUSADER after the sponsor of the yacht bought the whisky brand “White Horse”.
Under skipper Harald Cudmore the yacht made it to the sixth place.
1988 Was she chartered to V. Bandolowski in Lulea, Sweden and renamed HOLGER DANSKE.
1993 Sold to Richard Matthews in Ipswich, U.K. and renamed again CRUSADER.
Some time she was fitted out with an engine and had some accommodation.
2001 The engine and accommodation were removed and went back to full 12-Metre racing.
2014 Still owned by the Matthews and used for racing.
Solomon Islands 1986 $1 sg570a, scott574.
Belize 1987 $4 sg988, scott
Sources: Various internet sites.

IMPROVEMENT SUEZ CANAL

A new stamp was issued by the Egypt Post in 2014 for the improvement of the Suez Canal, but the design shows a lock in the Panama Canal.
The stamp was withdrawn after the mistake was detected, how many there have been issued is unknown.
The vessels depict on the stamp, the warship looks she is one of the Type 42 of the Royal Navy but which ship of the class is unknown. The other ships till so far not identified.

COURAGEOUS (US 26) yacht

Built as a 12 meter yacht by Minneford’s Yacht Yards, City Island, New York for the Courageous Syndicate, New York.
June 1974 launched as COURAGEOUS.
Displacement 25,4 ton, dim. 20.10 x 3.73 x 2.73m. (draught, length on waterline 13.60m.
Sail area 151 m²
Crew 11.

COURAGEOUS is a 12-metre class yacht. She was the third boat to win the America's Cup twice, in 1974 and 1977, after COLUMBIA in 1899 and 1901, and INTRPID in 1967 and 1970. All three of these boats won for the New York Yacht Club and thus the United States. COURAGEOUS was the first all-aluminium-hulled 12-metre class yacht.
COURAGEOUS successfully defended the America's Cup for the USA in 1974 with Ted Hood at the helm. After the 1974 cup, Hood built a new boat which he thought was faster than COURAGOUS and sold COURAGOUS to Ted Turner. Turner won the 1977 America's Cup defender trials in COURAGEOUS beating Hood in the process, and then went on to successfully defend the America's Cup later that year.
When preparing COURAGEOUS for the 1977 America's Cup, she was re-measured for compliance with the 12-metre class rule. It was discovered that she was lighter than the weight declared in her original racing certificate for the 1974 America's Cup. Less weight typically means a faster performance in lighter winds and a slower performance in stronger winds. If COURAGEOUS had been found to be underweight before the competition in 1974 then the designers would have had to make adjustments to sail area, the waterline length, or other attributes to make the design comply with the 12-metre rule. If COURAGEOUS was found to be underweight during the event she would have been disqualified. It is only conjecture what effect this oversight had on the result of the 1974 event.
1979 Renamed in COURAGEOUS II.
1984 Owned again by Courageous Syndicate Inc., Short Beach CT, USA., renamed COURAGES III.
1986 Renamed in COURAGEOUS IV.
1993 Renamed again in COURAGOUS and owned by Courageous Sailing Center in Charlestown MA, USA.
1996 Owned by US 26 Corporation, Wilmington, DE, USA not renamed.
Both COURAGEOUS and INTREPID are still sailing and racing today in Newport, Rhode Island. INTREPID is available for charter and COURAGEOUS is privately owned.
1997 Was she donated by Leonard Greene to the Museum of Yachting, Newport, Rhode Island.
2002 Restoration took place by Hinckley Yacht Services in Portsmouth, USA. Then owned by The Courageous Foundation Ltd., Newport, R.I.
2005 Designated by the State of Rhode Island as a State Yacht.
2014 Still owned by Courageous Foundation and regular used for races.

Solomon Islands 1986 18c sg570a, scott573h. $1 sg570a scott
Dominica 1987 $5 sgMS1056, scott1018.
Gambia 1987 1b sg701, scott673.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courageous_(yacht) http://www.12mrclass.com/yacht-search/d ... 05436.html Internet.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

BREADALBANE

The full index of our ship stamp archive

BREADALBANE

Postby aukepalmhof » Sun May 17, 2009 9:17 pm

tmp178.jpg
Click image to view full size
Built in 1843 as a wooden three masted ship, on the yard of Henderick & Rowan, Glasgow for account of McNeil & Co., Glasgow.
Tonnage 428 tons, dim. 107.7 x 24.4 x 18.2ft.
Bark rigged.
Delivered July 1843.

Built for the trade between the U.K and India.
26 March 1853, chartered by the British Government for three years as transport vessel.
22 May 1853 she sailed from London, under command of Capt. John McKenzie, for Baffin Bay in search for the lost Sir John Franklin expedition. Her ice master was George Sabiston, I can remember that even in the 1960s ships of the company I was sailing for used ice masters when they were loading in Greenland ports, the ice master or pilot is mostly a experienced captain who knows the waters and ice situation well in that area. On that voyage she had a crew of 20 (21other source) men including the master and ice master.

07 Oct. 1853 it was reported that she was lost, when her companion ship the PHOENIX arrived at Thurso, North Scotland. It was reported that on 21 August 1853 she was crushed by shifting ice and sank in 15 minutes off Beechey Island. The crew was saved by the PHOENIX.
19 October 1853 the rescued crew arrived at London.

The following is an excerpt from the August 21, 1853 journal entry by William H. Fawckner, Royal Navy Officer on the BREADALBANE.

About ten minutes past four a.m., the ice passing the ship awoke me, and the door of my cabin from the pressure opened: I immediately hurriedly put on my clothes, and on getting up found some hands on the ice, endeavoring to save the boats, but they were instantly crushed to pieces; they little thought, when using their efforts to save the boats, that the BREADALBANE was in so perilous a situation. I went foreward to hail the PHOENIX, for men to save the boats, and whilst doing so, the ropes by which we were secured parted, and a heavy nip took the ship making every timber in her creak, and the ship tremble all over. I looked in the main hold, and saw the beams given away; I hailed those on the ice and told them of our critical situation, they not for one moment suspecting it. I then rushed to my cabin, hauled out my portmanteau on the deck, and roared like a bull to those in their beds to jump out and save their lives. The starling effects on them might be more easily imagined than described. On reaching the deck those on the ice called out to me to jump over the side, that the ship was going over…

Everyone then abandoned the ship, with what few clothes they saved – some with only what they had on… The ship now began to sink fast, and from the time her bowsprit touched the ice, until her mastheads were out of sight, did not occupy above one minute and a half. It was a very sad and unceremonious way of being turned out of our ship. For the first time the first nip took her, until her disappearance, did not occupy more that fifteen minutes.
I, as well all the spectators of the last of BREADALBANE, was astonished at the rapid manner in which she went down… I can not easily imagine why the two missing Arctic ships (EREBUS and TERROR) have never been heard of, and it is but too probable in my mind, they were lost not many miles from my old vessel, and that all hands met with a watery grave.

On 13 August 1980 the hull of the BREADALBANE was rediscovered by a team of scientists in a position 74 41 N and 91 50W.

On the stamp, only her steering wheel is depict.

Canada 1987 36c sg1239, scott?

Information I got from the World Ship Society:
aukepalmhof

Re: BREADALBANE

Postby john sefton » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:16 am

Extract from an article by J B Maclnnis National Geographic July 1983.
Far below the surface of the hostile sea, tomorrows technology unlocks the secrets of a long‑dead vessel.
She is BREADALBANE, a British Bark launched in 1843 and lost a decade later in the ice of Canadas Northwest Passage while aiding in the search for survivors of the ill‑fated Franklin Expedition. She is the nothernmost shipwreck ever discovered on the seafloor.
During his six long years of research and exploration for BREADALBANE Dr Maclnnis got his real first view of the vessel on 13 August 1980 in a ghostly side scan sonar image.
Entombed beneath six feet of surface ice and 340 feet of arctic water, the ship appeared far beyond human reach or ability to explore. Yet only 3 years later, in early May, a diver touched down on BREADALBANE'S deck in a revolutionary submersible destined to extend mans reach under the sea. Dubbed WASP for its resemblance to that insect, it is also referred to as “a submarine you wear''. The 'wheel of misfortune' that guided BREADALBANE in her final moments before storm driven ice punctured her hull and sent her to the bottom off Beechy Island in Canadas high Arctic was beautifully preserved by near‑freezing temperatures and an absence of pollution or marine borers, was promptly flown to the world famous Parks Canada conservation facility in Ottawa.
By some miracle all the 21 crewmen aboard managed to scramble to safety on the surrounding ice and joined an accompanying ship.

Stamp issue: Canada 1987.. SG1239. shows BREADALBANE' S wheel
john sefton

Return to Ship Stamps Collection