SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year. Full membership includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

CARONIA 1905

Built as a passenger-cargo vessel under yard no 362 by John Brown & Co., Clydebank, Scotland for the Cunard SS Co. Ltd., Liverpool.
13 July 1904 launched as the CARONIA one sister the CARMANIA.
Tonnage 19,687 grt, 10,306 nrt, dim.198.12 (bpp.) x 22.01 x 12.25m.
Powered by twin quadruple expansion Q4cyl steam engines, manufactured by shipsbuilder, 1501 nhp., twin shafts, speed 16 knots.
Passenger accommodation for 300 first, 350 second and 900 third class passengers.
February 1905 completed.

RMS CARONIA was a British ocean liner, launched on 13 July 1904. She was built for Cunard by John Brown & Co. of Glasgow. She was the only ship in the Cunard fleet to be named after an American, being named after Caro Brown, granddaughter of Cunard's New York agent. She left Liverpool on her maiden voyage to New York on 25 February 1905. A successful 1906 cruise from New York to the Mediterranean led to CARONIA's being used for cruising frequently in the coming years.
On 14 April 1912 CARONIA sent first ice warning at 09:00 to RMS TITANIC reporting "bergs, growlers and field ice".
CARONIA was briefly placed on Cunard's Boston service in 1914, but the start of World War I caused her to be requisitioned as an armed merchant cruiser. She was hired as an AMC on 02 August 1914 and fitted out at Liverpool with 8 – 4.7 inch guns. 08 August 1914 commissioned as HMS CARONINA. 10 October 1914 she sailed from Liverpool for the North Atlantic patrol duties attached to the North American and West Indian Station. March 1915 refitted and rearmed with 8 – 6 inch guns. 22 September 1916 decommissioned, and converted for trooping duties in the Indian Ocean between India and South and East Africa, returning in 1918 to the Liverpool-New York run after the War.
11 January 1919 sailed from Liverpool for the first post-war commercial voyage
In March 1924 CARONIA was converted to burn oil instead of coal.
After returning to service, she sailed on a number of different routes, including:
New York/Boston from Liverpool
New York from London
New York from Hamburg (1922)
Quebec from Liverpool (1924)
New York from Havana
Her last voyage, from London to New York was on 12 September 1932, after which she was sold to be disassembled. Initially sold to Hughes Bolckow for demolition at Blyth, she was resold December 1932 to Kobe Kaiun K.K. registered at Osaka, renamed, TAISEIYO MARU and sailed to Osaka, where she was scrapped in 1933.
Turbine Experiment
CARONIA was fitted with the older quadruple-expansion engine technology; whilst the CARMANIA had turbines and proved to be the more economical of the two liners

Liberia 2016 $30 sg?, scott?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_CARONIA_(1904) http://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?of ... el=CARONIA Armed Merchant Cruisers 1878-1945 by Osborne, Spong & Grover.

BON ACCORD RNLB lifeboat

This stamp comes from a sheet showing rescue vessels issued in the name of the Solomon Islands. As soon as I saw the building in the background I thought that this was in Aberdeen and a recent visit to the city in April 2016 confirmed it.
I am now going to make an assumption, as no serial number is shown on the stamp, that the vessel shown on the stamp is the RNLB BON ACCORD which is the Severn Class lifeboat based at Aberdeen. Every so often the lifeboat goes off for a service/refit in another port and is replaced by a boat of the same class from the RNLI relief fleet. However, this does not happen very often which makes me believe that the lifeboat shown is RNLB BON ACCORD – 17-24.
RNLB BON ACCORD was built in 2000 by Green Marine/Berthon at Lymington on the south coast of England. She has the RNLI serial number 1248 and has been based at Aberdeen since July 2000. RNLB BON ACCORD is powered by two 27 litre twin turbo intercooled Caterpiller 3412 DITA engines which deliver 1250hp each at 2300rpm. She carries 1200 gallons of diesel in her bunkers and burns, at full speed, 2 gallons of diesel per minute. She has a range of 250nm at full speed. Aberdeen Lifeboat carries a crew of 6 and, if required, a doctor. She is moored afloat, as all Severn Class Lifeboats are.

RNLB BON ACCORD is the third lifeboat to be stationed at Aberdeen, bearing the Bon Accord name. The previous two Bon Accords were built in 1853 and 1875 and stationed at Footdee and the harbour as the Beach and Harbour Lifeboats until 1924.

The name Bon Accord comes from the motto of the City of Aberdeen’s Coat of Arms. The phrase was used in the 14th century as a password by King Robert the Bruce as he and his men laid siege to Aberdeen Castle and killed the English Garrison, retaking Aberdeen for the townspeople.

Whilst in Aberdeen I was lucky enough to see BON ACCORD sailing into Aberdeen Bay on a training exercise on 18/4/2016 and was almost able to duplicate the shot shown on the stamp except my photo was taken from a road overlooking the River Dee while the shot on the stamp appears to have been taken from the river bank. The oil rig vessel FAR SCOTSMAN almost ruined the shot !

Solomon Islands 2014 $5.00 sg?, scott?

Sources: http://aberdeen-lifeboat.org.uk/lifeboats/. The Lifeboat Service in Scotland, Station by Station by Nicolas Leach. Lifeboat Directory, A Complete Guide to British Lifeboats by Nicholas Leach and Tony Denton (lists all current lifeboats, those that have been sold on to other lifeboat agencies in other countries and many of the older lifeboats that have been sold in to private hands or preserved. An excellent reference work; PCC).

Peter Crichton.

ARRC Autonomous Rescue & Recovery Craft

From a sheet of rescue vessels issued in the name of the Maldives.
Delta has launched one of the largest RIB’s in the world. After years of development, Seawork 2005 saw the first public appearance of this latest model at the cutting edge of RIB technology.
Designated the AARC (Autonomous Rescue & Recovery Craft) this Delta 19m has many novel features. The sponsons are a hybrid construction that allows the craft to take advantage of the energy absorption properties of an air filled tube with the damage resistance of closed cell foam. Carbon fibre shafts have permitted the engines to be placed in the optimum position without the weight penalty that conventional steel shafts would incur, and the cabin is a double decker.
The ARRC is an integral part of "Jigsaw", BP's innovative Rescue initiative for their North Sea platforms which will provide enhanced Rescue & Recovery arrangements. In an emergency, helicopters will be deployed from strategically located platforms with the ARRC acting as the marine element. Each ARRC will have a crew of six including a fully trained paramedic and is capable of operating in seas of 7 m significant wave height.
In the event of an emergency rescue, the ARRC has the facilities on board to house 21 survivors in comfort and to perform essential triage and basic life-saving initiatives including Cannulation, Intubation and Haemorrhage Control. In addition the ARRC has a clear aft deck area that enables a "Helivac" of seriously injured survivors to be completed in the severest of sea states.
Powered by twin 1000 hp CAT 18's linked to Hamilton 521 Waterjets and with the latest onboard Navigation & Ship control systems linked to Hi Visibility LCD displays she is capable, in continuous mode, of cruising at 30 kts. Top speed is currently commercially sensitive but dependent on loaded condition it is understood to be well in excess of 35 kts.
Following the initial sea trials in early June, Delta Managing Director Charles Dyas said that he was delighted that such a leading edge craft should perform so well "out of the box" commenting that the performance predicted by one of the most comprehensive series of tank tests ever undertaken in a boat of this size were born out in real life.
The initial production plan for all boats was for the hull and deck to be moulded by a specially formed company, Delta ARRC Ltd (DAL), in Stockport, Cheshire, England. The superstructures for boats 01, 02 were moulded by Blondecell and their successors, Composite Mouldings Ltd, and the remainder at Stockport by DAL.
Initially, it was planned that fitting out, and joining of the superstructure to the deck would take place at Holyhead Marine in Anglesey, Wales. In the event, only boats 01 to 04 were fitted out at Holyhead, and boats 05 to 08 were assembled at the Wear Dry Dock, Sunderland, England as the result of an internal decision by DAL.
Eight ARRC's which are due to come into service with BP are specifically engineered for their Rescue & Recovery role but this craft is obviously so versatile that derivatives for other Patrol duties are already under development.
Two ARRCs were carried on board BP’s Caledonian class oil rig supply vessels on special launching cradles. In April 2015 BP announced that it intended to end the use of autonomous rescue and recovery craft (ARRC) and end the provision of the Jigsaw helicopter capability for search and rescue provision.

In April2015 the company stated that it was terminating the use of the ARRC vessels — introduced in 2009 to improve safety in the North Sea — as they were frequently underused.

The end of the Jigsaw helicopter came as a result of the decommissioning of the BP Miller platform where the Jigsaw helicopter was based.

While the Jigsaw helicopter has been replaced by a new employer-funded SAR helicopter, this is based at Aberdeen International Airport and can only provide rescue and recovery, and medevac cover for offshore workers out to around 160 nautical miles from the shore.

Whilst in Aberdeen in April 2016 I was told that the 8 ARRC vessels are now laid up at South Queensferry Marina, near the Forth Road Bridge. The launching cradles have been removed from the Caledonian class rig supply vessels.

The vessels were named – 01 ERIK, 02 SCOTT, 03 PAUL, 04 IAN, 05 EUAN, 06 JAMES, 07 ALASTAIR and 08 DAVID.

I am attaching some of my photos of the ARRCs and one of their Mother Vessels. The ARRCs and smaller rescue craft carried my rig supply and rescue vessels are referred to as Daughter Craft.

Sources: http://www.journalofoceantechnology.com ... id=6&jot... (Reviews & Papers). http://hotribs.com/03press/198-delta-ri ... a-ribs.asp. https://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-d ... yY15nKTWos. David Dodds of Aberdeen.

Peter Crichton
__._,_.___

Louisa Craig- barque 1876

The iron barque Louisa Craig was built as the «Peru» in1876 for Robertson, esq. She measured 183 ft. in length, 30 ft. beam, 710 gross tons. Captain James Craig, later owner of Craig lines, was the first master on her maiden voyage to the west coasts of North and South America, then to Buenos Aires and back to the west coast, home to Falmouth for orders and then Hamburg. Captain James Craig handed over command to Captain R. Smith who sailed her round the world, to Adelaide, Valparaiso, Talcahuana and back to Europe, arriving in August 1879. During the next twenty seven years, under various owners, part owners and masters she traded in many countries making a number of voyages to New Zealand. In 1906 she came under the flag of Craig Ltd. and was placed in the trans-Tasman trade. In 1907 her name was changed to the «Louisa Craig» and she was re-painted in the line's livery of painted ports, black bulwarks and grey hull. This accentuated her lines and she was generally admitted to be the most beautiful and striking ship in Australia. She made thirty voyage in the intercolonial trade and one to the Pacific Islands under the ownership of Craig and then, in 1916 she was sold to G.H.Scales of Wellington and placed in the trans-Pacific trade to the west coast of North America. After her first voyage Scales changed her name to «Raupo». She remained under ownership of Scales until 1921 when she was laid up in Wellington. In 1922 she was sold as a coal hulk and towed to Lyttelton. After years as a coal hulk she was gradually cut down to the waterline for her iron, and then, in 1937, she was towed to Quail Island in Lyttelton Harbour and beached. The design stamp is made after painting of Roger Morris:«Вarque Louisa Craig sailing up the Northern Wairoa River to Kopu».
Malawi 2011;k250;SG? Source:http://www.seapainter.com/Louisa-Craig.Northern-Wairoa.html

«Ulcoats»-the little clipper 1863

The «Ulcoats», one of the White Star ships, was an iron barque of 671 tons, built at Liverpool in 1863. She was iron and her registered tonnage was 671. She was a small ship but a little clipper belonging to the same line which owned the Thermopylae. She made her maiden trip to Auckland, leaving London on September 29, 1863, with 137 passengers, and arriving at Auckland on January 22, 1864, making the passage in 115 days, a very good run for a vessel of her size. Captain Chambers, who was in command, reported that owing to very adverse weather in the Channel, where she was detained eight days, and subsequent light winds, the vessel was thirty days fetching Madeira. She experienced good north-east and south-east trade winds, and on December 10 passed the meridian of the Cape, running down her longitude in the parallel of 46deg south, with strong winds and fine weather with the exception that on December22 she encountered a cyclone, in which fore and main topsails and lifeboat were lost. Cape Maria Van Dieman was sighted on january 10; thence the barque was baffled on the coast with light airs and calms, the vessel taking another 12 days to reach Auckland. Among the passengers by the Ulcoats on this voyage were Mr Wesley Spragg and others who have made good citizens. The Ulcoats, after discharging, sailed for Port Chalmers, arriving there on march 13, 1864. She landed 54 passengers for Dunedin, and then loaded at that port for London. According to the book «White Wings» - Sir Henry Brett. The design stamp is made after painting of Roger Morris: «The Aberdeen White Star ship Ulcoats bringing immigrants to Auckland on June 16th. 1865.»
Malawi 2011;k350;SG?
Source: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... lcoats.htm. http://www.seapainter.com/Ulcoats-Auckland.html

Manus canoe

Тhe name of the Manus is the traditional name for a group of fishing people who inhabit coastal areas Manus. These people were good sailors and traders. The Manus live in houses on the sea and understand various means of navigation the canoe and the use of the great fishnet . They have knowledge of the moon and stars and of those kinds of magic in which betel and lime are used. The Manus are a sea-dwelling peoples. The Manus, in their large, single outrigger canoes, control the fishing and the trade of the south coast, and are the middlemen between Usiai and the island Matankor. There are two kinds of canoe: those used for fishing and those used for traveling. Single-fishing canoe of the Manus Islands in the northwest part of the group. Dugout hull; sides generally raised with washstrakes, sewn on. Raked ends elongated, terminating in a platform. Thwarts rested on notches in the hull or, where present, in the washstrakes; a gunwale pole rested on the thwarts and outrigger booms. Sharp ended float, about two thirds the length of the hull, attached by 3 booms. Each boom flanked by flexible spars along its outer part; spars turned down toward the ends and were lashed outside the multiple vertical stanchions that connected the booms and float. Single mast, stepped between the gunwale pole and the hull and braced from the platform. The triangular Oceanic lateen mat sail set; boom at the foot forked against the mast, holding the sail up obliquely.
Papua New Guinea 2009;K3,0;SG?
Sources: A. Haddon, J. Hornell: Canoes of Oceania.1937.Volume II. Dictionary of the world’s Watercraft from Aak to Zumbra. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

UNIMAK USS seaplane tender

The full index of our ship stamp archive

UNIMAK USS seaplane tender

Postby aukepalmhof » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:54 pm

tmp144.jpg
Click image to view full size
Built as a seaplane tender by Associated Shipbuilders Inc.,Harbor Island, Seattle, Washington for the USA Navy.
15 February 1942 laid down.
27 May 1942 launched as the USS UNIMAK (AVP-31), sponsored by Mrs. H.B. Berry the wife of Captain H.B.Berry, the personnel officer of the 13th Naval District. Named after the Unimak Bay on the southern side of Unimak Island, Alaska. She was one of the Barnegat class.
Displacement 1.766 tons light, 2.592 tons full load. Dim. 94.7 x 12.5 x 4.1m. (draught).
Powered by two Fairbanks-Morse diesels, 6.080 bhp, twin shafts, speed 18 knots.
Armament 1 – 5 inch, 4 – 40mm AA, 8 – 20mm AA guns, 2 – depth charge tracks and 2 Mousetrap depth charge projectors.
Crew 215 without aviation unit.
31 December 1943 commissioned under command of Commander Hilfort C. Owen.

She carried supplies, spare parts, repairs and berthing for some seaplanes squadron. Aviation bunkers 302.833 liters.
Following shakedown and fitting-out into late January 1944, the small seaplane tender departed San Diego, Calif., on 20 March, bound for the Canal Zone. Arriving at Balboa eight days later, the seaplane tender operated on the Pacific coast of Central America into April, providing logistics support to advanced seaplane bases at Santa Elena Bay, Ecuador, and at Aeolian Bay, Battra Island, in the Galapagos group. She soon shifted to Coco Solo on the Caribbean side of the Canal and transported men and materiel to Barranquilla’s Colombia, arriving there on 25 April.
After escorting SS GENEVIEVE LYKES back to Coco Solo on 23 and 24 June, UNIMAK conducted routine exercises with patrol planes into July. On 4 July, she received reports that a tanker near her position had been torpedoed and headed for the damaged ship. When she arrived on the scene late that day, she found the tanker still underway, making for the Panama coast. She immediately commenced screening the disabled ship and, aided by an escort of Army and Navy planes, shepherded the tanker safely to Colon late on the following afternoon.
Soon thereafter, UNIMAK shaped her course towards the last reported position of Navy blimp K-58. At 1532 on 9 July the seaplane tender sighted two yellow rubber rafts and the wreckage of the crashed blimp floating on the water. At 1558, UNIMAK took on board nine survivors and sank the unsalvageable blimp by collapsing the bag with 40-millimeter gunfire; the ship then landed the survivors at Portland Bight, Jamaica.
A few days later, on 12 July, UNIMAK joined with JOHN D. EDWARDS (DD-216) in hunting for a submarine reported to be lurking nearby. Within a few days, word of a crashed plane sent the two ships speeding for the last reported position of an aircraft. UNIMAK located only wreckage and one body and buried it at sea on 16 July.
UNIMAK remained in the Caribbean through the autumn, tending patrol planes, conducting logistics support missions for advanced seaplane bases, and occasionally towing targets for the patrol planes training in the area. On 15 December, ROCKAWAY (AVP-29) relieved UNIMAK, releasing her to steam north via Norfolk to Boston, Mass.
Arriving there at the end of December 1944, UNIMAK underwent availability at the Boston Navy Yard for the entire month of January 1945. She got underway for England on 14 February, but an engineering casualty forced the ship to return to Boston for a major propeller shaft alignment which lasted into March.
On 7 April, UNIMAK got underway for the British Isles and proceeded, via Bahia Praia in the Azores, to Bristol, on the first of two voyages to England to bring back supplies and men from decommissioned Navy patrol plane squadrons in the British Isles. On the second voyage, from 5 to 15 June, UNIMAK transported the men and materiel of Patrol Bomber Squadrons 103 and 105 from Bristol to Norfolk.
Departing Hampton Roads on 20 July, bound for the west coast, the ship transited the Panama Canal on the 26th and arrived at San Diego on 3 August. She got underway for Pearl Harbor on the 12th. The seaplane tender subsequently operated in the Hawaiian chain until 7 September when she headed for the Aleutians.
She operated in northern climes (calling at Adak, Kodiak, and Attu, Alaska; and once at Petropavlovsk Siberia) into November of 1945 before heading southward to prepare for inactivation. Subsequently reporting to Commander, 19th Fleet, in December, UNIMAK was decommissioned on 26 July 1946. She remained in reserve until transferred to the Coast Guard on 14 September 1948.
She served the Coast Guard as UNIMAK (WAVP-379).
The UNIMAK was home ported in Boston from 3 January 1949 to 1 September 1956 and used primarily for law enforcement, ocean station, and search and rescue operations. In June 1956, she patrolled the Newport, RI to Bermuda race. She was subsequently stationed at Cape May, NJ from 1 September 1956 to 7 August 1972 and used primarily for training reservists, including training cruises to Brazil and Nova Scotia. She took part in the cadet cruise of August 1965. On 7 March 1967 she rescued six Cuban refugees in the Yucatan Channel. On 10 March 1967 she rescued survivors from F/V BUNKIE III in Florida waters. Five days later, she rescued 12 Cuban refugees who were stranded on an island. On 29 May 1969, UNIMAK towed the disabled F/V SIROCCO 35 miles east of Fort Pierce, FL, to safety. On 3 April 1970, UNIMAK stood by the grounded M/V VASSILIKI near Mayaguana Island until a commercial tug arrived.
From 7 August 1972 to 31 May 1975, the UNIMAK was stationed at Yorktown, VA, and was again used to train reservists. Between 31 May 1975 and August 1977 she was placed out of commission and stored at Curtis Bay. MD. On 22 August 1977, UNIMAK was reactivated and was home ported at New Bedford, MA, until 1988. She was used primarily for fishing patrol.
On 6 October 1980, she seized M/V JANETH 340 miles southeast of Miami, FL, carrying 500 bales of marijuana. On 14 October 1980, she seized P/C RESCUE carrying approximately 500 bales of marijuana and P/C SNAIL with two tons of marijuana in the Gulf of Mexico. Three days later, she seized M/V AMALAKA southwest of Key West, FL, carrying 1,000 bales of marijuana. On 19 October 1980, UNIMAK seized F/V WRIGHT’S PRIDE southwest of Key West, carrying 30 tons of marijuana. In March of 1981, while on an OCS training cruise, UNIMAK intercepted M/V MAYO with 40 tons of marijuana. On 9 December 1982, she towed the disabled F/V SACRED HEART away from Daid Banks, 45 miles east of Cape Cod, in 30-foot seas.
Between 28 January and 9 March 1983, the UNIMAK was again deployed to the Caribbean for law enforcement patrol. On 27 and 28 February 1983, she towed the dismasted WANDERING STAR to Mathew Town, Great Iguana. On 3 March 1983, she towed the disabled M/V YADRINA to Mathew Town. On 30 November 1984, UNIMAK seized the sailboat LOLA 100 miles north of Barranquilla, Colombia, carrying 1.5 tons of marijuana. Another drug bust occurred on 2 November 1985, when the UNIMAK seized tugboat ZEUS 3 and a barge 200 miles south of the Dominican Republic carrying 40 tons of marijuana.
After her return to the Navy in April of 1988, she was expended as an artificial reef off the Virginia coast.
Tuvalu 1990 30c sg579, scott544.
Dictionary of American Fighting Ships. USA Coastguard web-site. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Unimak_(AVP-31)
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 4599
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests

Sponsored Links