Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year. Full membership includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

DOGANAY TCG submarine

To commemorate that100 year ago the first Turkish submarine ABDUL HAMID was built in 1886, Turkey issued one stamp which not depict this submarine but one of the modern six Atilay Class submarines.
By enlarging the stamp, you can read the pennant number on the tower as S 351 which belongs to the DOGANAY.
She was built at the Gölcük Naval Shipyard at Gölcük for the Turkish Navy, she was one of the German Type 209 of which three were built in Germany and two in Turkey.
21 March 1980 laid down.
11 November 1983 launched as the TCG DOGANAY (S-351)
Displacement 1,100 ton surface, 1,285 submerged, dim 55.9 x 6,2 x 5.5m.
Powered: Diesel electric by four MTU 12V493 TY60 diesels, 2,400 hp,, four Siemens alternators 1.7 MW, one Siemens electro motor, 4,600 hp, one shaft, speed 11 knots surface and 21.5 knots submerged.
Range by a speed of 11 knots surfaced, 7,500 mile.
Diving depth 250 metre.
Armament: 8 – 533mm torpedo tubes and she carries 14 – AEG SST 4: Mk-23 torpedoes.
Crew 38
16 November 1984 commissioned.

She was the first modern submarine built in Turkey.

From 2011 till 2015 she underwent a modernization in Turkey.
2016 In service.

Turkey 1986 20L sg2929, scott2353. The photo shows her after the modernization in 2015.
Source: Internet.

Götheborg (ship)

«Götheborg» was built at the Terra Nova ship yard in Stockholm and launched in 1738. According to writer Björn Ahlander, it only took about one and a half years to build a ship of this size in the 1700s. It was built in the Swedish capital and named «Götheborg» because the Swedish East India Company resided in Gothenburg, and all expeditions began and ended at this port. The ship had a tonnage equivalent to about 830 t (1,830,000 lb). On its maiden voyage in 1739, the ship carried 30 cannons and an initial crew of 144. The ship made three journeys to China and in 1745, it sank on its way into Gothenburg harbor. After 30 months at sea, and with only 900 m (3,000 ft) to go before the vessel reached its berth, it crashed into the Knipla Börö, a well known rock. Although it remains a mystery how this could happen theories abound. The ship remained stranded on the rock while much of the cargo, consisting of tea, porcelain, spices and silk was salvaged. The ship was clearly visible above the surface of the water for many years, but in time the remains sank to the bottom. It is still unclear what caused the ship to run aground due to the scarcity of contemporary written sources. The Götheborg had a very experienced piloton board, Caspar Matthisson (1712–1783) from Brännö, who had been a pilot for seven and a half years at the time of the accident. Even so, the ship suddenly ran aground, or crashed into, the underwater rock the Hunnebådan. It may be that theGötheborg was suddenly trapped by «dead water» when making its final change of course, causing the ship to lose rudder function, go off course and run aground. When the wreckage of the vessel Götheborg was found in 1984, the idea to make a replica of the vessel emerged. The keel for the replica was laid on 11 June 1995. The vessel was built using old, traditional techniques, and it was made as close to the original as possible. The vessel was launched on 6 June 2003, with great festivities and in the presence of representatives from the Swedish Royal Family. Götheborg is a sailing replica of an 18th-century Swedish East Indiamanand one of the world's largest operational wooden sailing vessel. After various tests and achieving its safety certificates from Det Norske Veritas, the vessel sailed for China in October 2005, as the original vessel did, but it did not follow the same route. The voyage took some 18 months. Тhe crew of 80. The vessel returned to Gothenburg on 9 June 2007. Among the harbours visited were Cádiz, Recife, Cape Town, Hong Kong, Singaporeand Shanghai.
Djibouti 2016;280fd;SG?
Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

MINNE-HA-HA stern-wheeler

Depict on this stamp is a miniature of an old-fashioned Mississippi stern-paddle steamer and it looks that the design of the steamer has been taken from a photo on page 62 of Steamboats Today, 1986 by Tom Rhodes and Harley Scott according Mr. Jack Standen in Watercraft Philately 1988 page 76.
02 October 1968 laid down on the shipyard of the Lake George Steamboat Company at Baldwin, NY for the account of the company.
06 December 1968 launched.
Displacement 200 tons, dim. 103 x 30 x 3.5ft. (draught).
Powered by 200 hp steam engine manufactured by Semple Engine Co. of St louis which drive a 12’ x 12’ sternwheel, the stern-wheel has fourteen paddles and turns at 13 rpm for a speed of 8 mile.
One diesel driven bow-thruster.
30 July 1969 christened as the MINNE-HA-HA.

The MINNE-HA-HA is a sternwheel steamboat on Lake George, New York. It is owned and operated by the Lake George Steamboat Company.
In the 1950s and 1960s, the Lake George Steamboat Company owned and operated two ships on Lake George. They were the TICONDEROGA (II), a retired navy ship from World War 2, and the MOHICAN (II), a dieselized steamer who was built by the Steamboat Company in 1907-1908. During the 1960s, these two ships would make daily trips on the lake. The TICONDEROGA would make trips up and down the lake, while the MOHICAN would make two trips into Paradise Bay. In 1968, with the increasing volume of tourists to Lake George Village, the primary docking point of the Lake George Steamboats, requests for hour-long cruises became more frequent. It became evident that a third boat was needed to satisfy the people who did not have time for the longer cruises provided by the "Mo" and "Ti". Wilbur Dow, the company's owner at the time, wanted to make the boat itself an attraction and that it should be powered by steam. A sidewheeler was originally considered to keep with the tradition of the older steamboats on the lake, but the ship, at an estimated 100-foot design, would have appeared to be too wide and short. It was then decided to construct a sternwheel steamboat.
Creation of the ship
The ship was designed by H.M. Tiedemann Company of New York City. The construction started on October 2, 1968 at the Steamboat Company's shipyard in Baldwin, which is located near Ticonderoga, NY, on the other side of Lake George. The hull of the new ship was launched on December 6, 1968, and it was towed by the MOHICAN to the Steel Pier, her future dock, in Lake George Village. The building of the boat was then picked up there, and completed over the winter at a cost of $270,000. The new boat was 103 feet long, had a 30-foot beam, and a draft of 3.5 feet. She had a displacement of 200 tons and could go up to 7 miles per hour. Wilbur Dow's wife, Ruth, struck the champagne bottle against the boat on July 30, 1969, and the ship was christened "MINNE-HA-HA", meaning "laughing waters". She is the second boat by the Lake George Steamboat Company to have this name, sharing it with a sidewheeler that served from 1857-1878.
20th Century
Starting from August 1, 1969, the "Minne" has made six daily hourly trips during the running months, and over its years a seventh hour cruise has been added, as well as a moonlight cruise on Saturday nights. She also sported a calliope that played soothing tunes after each cruise. The fact that it was not only a true steamboat, but also provided short, slow paced cruises showered the new ship with immediate popularity.
The ship became so popular over the years that the current owner of the Steamboat Company, Bill Dow, Wilbur Dow's son, decided to modify the "Minne". Since she did not fit the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act, meaning she was not handicapped accessible, and she also had to be navigated quite carefully because of her low speed, the only option was to lengthen the vessel. On September 14, 1998, she sailed up to the drydock at Baldwin and her hull was redesigned and replaced with a well-designed and shaped hull. She was then cut into two pieces, and 34 feet of hull was added to connect these two sections. On December 9 of that year, she was put back into the lake and was towed by her sister ship, the MOHICAN, who towed the "Minne" back in 1968, to the steel pier. Here, her superstructure was completed, and in late May 1999, her renovation was complete. Aside from her being lengthened and her hull being redone, she was also given a handicap access elevator to connect her first and second floors. A propeller powered by a caterpillar diesel engine was added to assist the much larger "Minne" in its difficult docking process. Her signature twin split-stacks were removed and replaced by a 30 foot tall sleek single stack, but they are still viewable from their spot on the steel pier. She retains her steam calliope and still plays it after every cruise. A 12x20 foot skylight was also put on her top deck. She is now 137 feet long, with a beam of 30 and a draft of 3 feet and 9 inches. With her propeller, she can now go at a max speed of 8.5 miles per hour.
21st Century
The "Minne" has continued in Lake George. In 2001, her paddle wheel was rebuilt. After the 2007 season, her skylight was removed and replaced with an elevated seating area, which provides more seats with an escalated view. In 2008, she played "Happy Birthday" on her calliope to honor the 100th birthday of her sister ship, the MOHICAN.
In 2013, the Steamboat Company revived an old tradition of the steamers plying their calliopes as they enter Lake George Village, as the "Minne" would do just that, in addition to when she would play it after each cruise. As of 2015, the Steam Ship MINNE-HA-HA II has been in service for 46 years, and serves with her two sister ships, the M/V MOHICAN II and the M/V LAC DU SAINT SACREMENT.

Anguilla 1986 $4 sg704, scott672. (The photo shows her after lengthening with one funnel.)

YMS-1 class minesweeper (USA)

It was 4 March 1941 in the Henry B. Nevins, Inc. Shipyard in City Island, NY, when the keel was laid of the first United States "Yard class Minesweeper" designed by this company and listed as YMS-1. Launched on 10 January 1942, it was completed two months later on 25 March 1942. This yard held the distinction of building this ship in 3 months, 18 days. The first wooden minesweeper of this class was to gain prominence in all theaters during World War II. A total of 561 were built at 35 U. S. yards. Originally a class of Motor Minesweepers, "Yard " was added to distinguish them from other classes. Referring to a "Naval Yard or Naval Base." This type was not expected to go beyond adjacent waters from their base. Built at 35 yacht yards, rather than larger shipyards; 12 on the East Coast; 19 on the West Coast, and four in the Great Lakes. It has been established by the U. S. Navy that this is the reason for the "Yard" designation. Records show that YMS' were used in the United States Navy to sweep mines laid by enemy subs as early as 1942 off the ports of Jacksonville, FL and Charleston, SC. One of their greatest losses being on 9 October 1945, when seven U.S. YMS' were sunk in a typhoon off Okinawa.

The wood-hulled YMS proved to be one of the U.S. Navy's more durable and versatile types through a quarter-century of service, filling a variety of roles for a number of navies. All 481 ships of this type had the same general characteristics. The only significant variation within the type was one of appearance; YMS-1 through 134 had two stacks, YMS-135 through 445, 480, and 481 had one, while YMS-446 through 479 had none. Originally rated as service craft, they were used during World War II for inshore sweeping to prepare the way for amphibious assaults. Surviving YMS's were reclassified as AMS in 1947, given names, and rerated as mine warfare ships; in 1955 they received the new type symbol MSC(O), changed to MSCO in 1967. These ships bore much of the mine warfare burden in Korea, formed a major portion of our minecraft strength through the 1950's, and provided underway training for Naval Reservists in the 1960's. Ruff (MSCO-54), originally YMS-327, the last of her kind in U.S. service, was struck from the Navy List in November 1969.

Displacement:270 tons, L:41,45m. (136') B:7,47m. (24' 6") Draft:2,44m. (8') 2 General Motors 8268A diesels, each:880 bhp. 2 shafts, 15 kn. complement:32, armament:1-3"/50 caliber gun, 2-20 mm. guns, 2 depth charge projectors.

(Somaliland 2011, 2500 a. StG.?)


Built in 1939-'41 by Alexander Stephen & Sons, Govan, Glasgow, for the Royal Navy, laid down 24-04-1939, launched 05-09-1940, commissioned 20-06-1941.
Minelayer of the 'Abdiel' class, diplacement:2693/3470 tons, Loa:127m. (418') Lbpp:122,07m. (400' 6") B:12m,20m. (40') Draft:3,43/4,50m. (11' 3"/14' 9") 4 Admiralty 3-drum water tube boilers, Parsons geared steam turbines:72.000 hp. 2 shafts, 38 kn. range:1000 nm/38 kn. complement:242, armament:6 × QF 4 in (100 mm) L/45 Mark XVI guns on twin mounts HA/LA Mk.XIX, 4 × QF 2 pdr L/39 Mk.VIII on quadruple mount Mk.VII, 8 × Vickers .50 machine guns on quadruple mount Mk.I (later up to 12 × 20 mm Oerlikons on single mounts P Mk.III or twin mounts Mk.V) 156 mines.

Commissioned on 7 June 1941, her first mission was the delivery of mines to Murmansk. Manxman then transferred to the Mediterranean, where she was employed on relief runs to Malta. In August she took part in Operation Mincemeat, which involved mine-laying in the Gulf of Genoa while disguised as the French vessel Leopard. From October 1941 to February 1942, Manxman was returned to the Home Fleet and took part in a number of mine-laying operations in the North Sea and the English Channel. In March, she joined the Eastern Fleet at Kilindini in the Indian Ocean. After escort and patrol duties, on 8 October she participated in the assault and capture of the island of Nosy Be on the north west coat of Madagascar, which was occupied by Vichy French forces.
Transferring to the Mediterranean again, Manxman was sent with supplies to Malta followed by mine-laying in the Sicilian Channel. On 1 December, whilst in transit from Algiers to Gibraltar, she was torpedoed by the German submarine U-375 and severely damaged on the position 36°39′N 0°15′E. Following emergency repairs at Oran and Gibraltar, she returned to Newcastle-upon-Tyne for extensive repair work.
Manxman re-commissioned on 10 April 1945 and made ready to join the British Pacific Fleet. She arrived at Geelong shortly after VJ Day and she was used for repatriation and supply operations.
Returning to the UK in June 1946, she had a further spell with the Pacific Fleet before joining the Reserve Fleet at Sheerness. Following a refit, Manxman joined the Mediterranean Fleet in 1951. In 1953, she appeared in the film Sailor of the King as the German cruiser Essen. She was fitted for the film with enlarged funnels and mock-up triple-gun turrets over her 4" guns. The 'torpedo damage' which forces her delay at 'Resolution Island' was painted on the side of her port bow. The scenes when she is holed up for repairs were filmed in the semi-circular Dwejra bay, guarded by Fungus Rock on the west coast of Gozo Island in Malta. In 1953 she also took part in the Fleet Review to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
In 1956, she was deployed for headquarters duties during the Suez operation. A story - or legend - has grown that, during the Suez Crisis of 1956, Manxman outran an American Carrier Group. Manxman reportedly shadowed them; the US Admiral increased speed, eventually to over thirty knots - and then Manxman swept past at full speed, showing the signal "See you in Egypt". It is far from clear whether this episode happened; 'knowledge' about it was common in the Merchant Navy of the 1970s. This story was often told in the Royal Navy (not the Merchant Navy which is not technically an organisation), long before 1956; it was supposed to have happened in the Pacific at the end of World War II.
After a spell in reserve at Malta and two refits, she was commissioned in 1963 as a support ship for minesweepers and was stationed at Singapore. Returning to the UK in 1968, Manxman was used for engineering training at Devonport and following a fire, was transferred to the reserve at Chatham Dockyard until broken up at Newport in 1973, by J. Cashmore.

(Somaliland 2011, 2500 a. StG.?)

LUPO 1938 (Italy)

Built in 1936-'38 by C.N.Q., Fiume, for the Italian Navy.
Torpedo boat, 'Spica' class, (32 units) 'Alcione' group, displacement:808/1040 tons, Loa:83,50m (273' 11") B:8,10m. (26' 7") Draft:2,55m. (8' 4") 2 Yarrow boilers, 2 Tosi geared steam turbines:19.000 hp. 2 shafts, 34 kn. complement:116, armament:3 × 100 mm (3.9") 100/47 dual-purpose guns, 9–11 × 20 mm (0.79") Breda 20/65 mod. 35 AA guns, 2 × 13.2 mm (0.52") anti-aircraft machine guns, 4 × 450 mm (18") torpedo tubes (2 × triple mounts) up to 20 mines.
Along with Libra, torpedoed the British tanker Desmoulea(8120 tons) in the Kasos straits on 31 January 1941 at the position 35°33′32″N 25°34′14″E, disabling her for the rest of the war. The tanker was part of the convoy AN.14, and had departed Alexandria for Piraeus. Captained by Francesco Mimbelli during the reconquest of Kastelorizo and the Battle of Crete, where she survived a battle against three cruisers and five destroyers, saving half of a small ships convoy.
Sunk 2 December 1942 by destroyers HMS Jervis,HMS Javelin, HMS Janus and HMS Kelvin while picking up survivors from the Italian cargo ship Veloce en route to Tripoli. Two other steamers, part of the same convoy, eventually reached home.

(Somaliland 2011, 1500 a. StG.?)

Pheasant HMS (sloop) c 1819

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Pheasant HMS (sloop) c 1819

Postby john sefton » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:05 pm

Click image to view full size
HMS PHEASANT. 1819. A sloop of 18 guns.
Built by Edwards at Shoreham 14.4.1798.
Was present at capture of Montevideo on 3.2.1807.
Sold 11.7.1827 to be broken up.
N.B. This was 3rd ship of name, between 1761 and 1963. Eight ships bore the name.

Log Book November 1986.
Ascension SG414
john sefton
Posts: 1682
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Pheasant HMS (sloop) c 1819

Postby aukepalmhof » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:35 pm

Built as gun-sloop by the yard of Edwards, Shoreham for the Royal Navy.
24 January 1795 ordered.
June 1795 keel laid down.
25 March 1796 launched under the name HMS PHEASANT one of the Merlin class, she was the third ship in the Royal Navy with this name.
Tonnage 373 ton (bm), dim 106.1 x 28.3 x 13.9ft., draught 10.3ft.
Armament 16 – 6 pdrs. upperdeck, 4 – 12 pdrs. guns quarter deck, fore-castle 2 – 12 pdrs. carronades
Crew 121.
28 April 1796 completed at yard, then moved to Portsmouth for fitting out.
June 1798 commissioned under command of Commander William Skipsey.
08 August 1798 completed. Building cost £8.087.

The class was later rearmed with: Upperdeck 14 – 32pdr. carronades, quarter deck 4 – 12 pdr. and fore-castle 2 – 12 pdr. carronades.

August 1798 sailed for Halifax.
From 1800 till 1804 under command of Commander Henry Carew.
22 August 1803 returned to the U.K.
1804 Under command of Commander Robert Paul, 01 September 1804 sailed for Jamaica. Commander Paul died at Barbados early 1805.
1805 Under command of Commander Robert Henderson in the Leeward Islands, Caribbean.
16 December 1805 he retook the English ship CLIO laden with merchandise.
January 1806 under command of Commander John Palmer, he was her commander untill 1814.
August 1806 the PHEASANT was in the U.K.
28 September 1806 sailed for South America.
1807 She bombarded Montevideo with other British warships, and on 03 February took part in the storming of the town, which was taken on 04 February 1807.
June 1807 took part in the siege on Buenos Aires.
1808 In service in the Channel Fleet and she took the French privateers Le TROPARD (5 guns) on 08 May 1808, and Le COMTE DE HUNEBOURG (14 guns) from St Malo on 03 February 1810, and the Le HÉROS (6 guns) on 17 June 1811.

From July till September 1812 repair and refit in Plymouth, repair bill £11.587.
05 January 1813 arrived from Oporto in Plymouth.
12 March 1813 took together with the HMS WARSPITE the American privateer WILLIAM BAYNARD (4 gun).
06 May 1813 brought in the American brig FOX 98 guns) which carried a letter of marquee; she was captured by HMS PHEASANT, WHITING and SCYLLA after a chase of over 100 miles. The FOX was underway from Bordeaux to Philadelphia.
05 June 1813 sailed from Torbay with an outward bound convoy for Newfoundland.
28 December 1813 sailed from Newfoundland with a convoy to the U.K.

October 1814 command was taken over by Commander Edmund Waller, used in the Channel Fleet.
November 1815 paid off into ordinary at Plymouth.
Refitted at Plymouth from September till December 1818 and re-commissioned on September 1818, under command of Commander Benedictus Kelly.
After her refit sailed for the Africa Station.
30 July 1819 she captured the slave vessel NOVA FELICIDAD, the same year she lost her Captain Kelly, surgeon, gunner and quartermaster on most probably malaria, not given of one of the lower ranks lost there live, but most probably yes.
September 1821 under command of Commander Douglas Clavering, at the Africa Station.
November 1822 she sailed via Havana and New York back to England.
De-commissioned and fitted out as a receiving ship at Woolwich, in service as so from August 1823 till November 1824.

11 July 1827 sold at Deptford for £1.250 to John Small Sedger, Rotherhithe, for breaking up.

Source: Log Book. British Warships in the age of sails 1793- 1817.
Some other web-sites.
Posts: 4690
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot] and 34 guests

Sponsored Links