SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year. Full membership includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

Louisa Craig- barque 1876

The iron barque Louisa Craig was built as the «Peru» in1876 for Robertson, esq. She measured 183 ft. in length, 30 ft. beam, 710 gross tons. Captain James Craig, later owner of Craig lines, was the first master on her maiden voyage to the west coasts of North and South America, then to Buenos Aires and back to the west coast, home to Falmouth for orders and then Hamburg. Captain James Craig handed over command to Captain R. Smith who sailed her round the world, to Adelaide, Valparaiso, Talcahuana and back to Europe, arriving in August 1879. During the next twenty seven years, under various owners, part owners and masters she traded in many countries making a number of voyages to New Zealand. In 1906 she came under the flag of Craig Ltd. and was placed in the trans-Tasman trade. In 1907 her name was changed to the «Louisa Craig» and she was re-painted in the line's livery of painted ports, black bulwarks and grey hull. This accentuated her lines and she was generally admitted to be the most beautiful and striking ship in Australia. She made thirty voyage in the intercolonial trade and one to the Pacific Islands under the ownership of Craig and then, in 1916 she was sold to G.H.Scales of Wellington and placed in the trans-Pacific trade to the west coast of North America. After her first voyage Scales changed her name to «Raupo». She remained under ownership of Scales until 1921 when she was laid up in Wellington. In 1922 she was sold as a coal hulk and towed to Lyttelton. After years as a coal hulk she was gradually cut down to the waterline for her iron, and then, in 1937, she was towed to Quail Island in Lyttelton Harbour and beached. The design stamp is made after painting of Roger Morris:«Вarque Louisa Craig sailing up the Northern Wairoa River to Kopu».
Malawi 2011;k250;SG? Source:http://www.seapainter.com/Louisa-Craig.Northern-Wairoa.html

«Ulcoats»-the little clipper 1863

The «Ulcoats», one of the White Star ships, was an iron barque of 671 tons, built at Liverpool in 1863. She was iron and her registered tonnage was 671. She was a small ship but a little clipper belonging to the same line which owned the Thermopylae. She made her maiden trip to Auckland, leaving London on September 29, 1863, with 137 passengers, and arriving at Auckland on January 22, 1864, making the passage in 115 days, a very good run for a vessel of her size. Captain Chambers, who was in command, reported that owing to very adverse weather in the Channel, where she was detained eight days, and subsequent light winds, the vessel was thirty days fetching Madeira. She experienced good north-east and south-east trade winds, and on December 10 passed the meridian of the Cape, running down her longitude in the parallel of 46deg south, with strong winds and fine weather with the exception that on December22 she encountered a cyclone, in which fore and main topsails and lifeboat were lost. Cape Maria Van Dieman was sighted on january 10; thence the barque was baffled on the coast with light airs and calms, the vessel taking another 12 days to reach Auckland. Among the passengers by the Ulcoats on this voyage were Mr Wesley Spragg and others who have made good citizens. The Ulcoats, after discharging, sailed for Port Chalmers, arriving there on march 13, 1864. She landed 54 passengers for Dunedin, and then loaded at that port for London. According to the book «White Wings» - Sir Henry Brett. The design stamp is made after painting of Roger Morris: «The Aberdeen White Star ship Ulcoats bringing immigrants to Auckland on June 16th. 1865.»
Malawi 2011;k350;SG?
Source: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... lcoats.htm. http://www.seapainter.com/Ulcoats-Auckland.html

Manus canoe

Тhe name of the Manus is the traditional name for a group of fishing people who inhabit coastal areas Manus. These people were good sailors and traders. The Manus live in houses on the sea and understand various means of navigation the canoe and the use of the great fishnet . They have knowledge of the moon and stars and of those kinds of magic in which betel and lime are used. The Manus are a sea-dwelling peoples. The Manus, in their large, single outrigger canoes, control the fishing and the trade of the south coast, and are the middlemen between Usiai and the island Matankor. There are two kinds of canoe: those used for fishing and those used for traveling. Single-fishing canoe of the Manus Islands in the northwest part of the group. Dugout hull; sides generally raised with washstrakes, sewn on. Raked ends elongated, terminating in a platform. Thwarts rested on notches in the hull or, where present, in the washstrakes; a gunwale pole rested on the thwarts and outrigger booms. Sharp ended float, about two thirds the length of the hull, attached by 3 booms. Each boom flanked by flexible spars along its outer part; spars turned down toward the ends and were lashed outside the multiple vertical stanchions that connected the booms and float. Single mast, stepped between the gunwale pole and the hull and braced from the platform. The triangular Oceanic lateen mat sail set; boom at the foot forked against the mast, holding the sail up obliquely.
Papua New Guinea 2009;K3,0;SG?
Sources: A. Haddon, J. Hornell: Canoes of Oceania.1937.Volume II. Dictionary of the world’s Watercraft from Aak to Zumbra. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Russian Navy Ships

Republic of West Papua is the name given to this unrecognized state the separatist of Free Papua movement. This movement claimed sovereignty for Western New Guinea, which combines the Indonesian province of Papua and West Papua. The capital is Jayapura, the capital of Papua province, near the border with Papua New Guinea. Republic of West Papua, then called West Papua, declared its independence on 1 December 1961, during the first meeting of the Papuan Congress, even when Dutch sovereignty. West Papua has issued a small sheet with the ships of Russian Navy: 1.Goto Predestanatsiya; 2. Ingermanland 3. Eagle; 4. Battle of the mouth of Nevy. Information of ships and battle see, shipstamps co.uk. forum.
Republiс of West Papua 2013;3000;SG? Source: https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rep%C3%BA ... _Ocidental

History of the Russian Navy on stamps

Southern Cameroons was the southern part of the British Mandate territory of Cameroons in West Africa. Since 1961 it is part of the Republic of Cameroon, where it makes up the Northwest Region and Southwest Region. Since 1994, pressure groups in the territory have sought independence from the Republic of Cameroon, and the Republic of Ambazonia was declared by the Southern Cameroons Peoples Organisation (SCAPO) on 31 August 2006. Southern Cameroons is a member of the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization(UNPO) since 2005 and a charter member of the Organization of Emerging African States (OEAS). Republic “Ambazonia” ussued sheet of stamps dedicated to the history of the Russian Navy. On stamps are available only to the date of the events. Information about ships and naval battles can be found at «shipstamps forum». 1.Lodya, 2.Koch, 3.Saint Peter- yacht of Peter I 1693, 4.Principium galley1696, 5.Batlle of Azov 1696, 6.The ship Krepost(Fortress) 1699, 7.Admiralty of Peter I 1709, 8.Poltava 1712, 9 . Battle of Gangut 1714, at 10.Batlle of Island Saaremaa 1719, 11. Battle of Grengam 1720, 12.Botik 1723.
Ambazonia(Federal Republic of the Southern Cameroons) 2013
Source:http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Southern_Cameroons

Saint Peter- yacht of Peter I

Peter arrived at Arkhangelsk on the White Sea in 1693, ordered the creation of a state shipyard in Arkhangelsk, here it was expecting a 12-gun yacht Saint Peter.Yacht built in Arkhangelsk on the Dutch sample in 1693. This small sailboat had one mast with a direct and oblique sails and was armed with 12 guns. LOA composes of 17 meters and its width — 5.7 meters. Peter I first came to him in the open sea involving the retirement of Arkhangelsk Dutch and English merchant ships and came with them to the eastern coast of the Kola Peninsula. After serving thirty years of naval service, is the first yacht in Arkhangelsk museum object. Peter I understood, however, that Arkhangelsk was extremely limited as a port. Because of its severe arctic climate and remoteness from the centre of Russia, Arkhangelsk could never be the country's main port. Peter insisted that Russia must have direct access to the Baltic and Black Seas.
Ambazonia(Federal Republic of the Southern Cameroons) 2013;500fcfa;SG?
Source: http://www.neva.ru/EXPO96/book/chap1-3.html. http://survincity.com/2014/06/yacht-st- ... -the-shop/
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

IMO / GUVERNOREN and MONT BLANC

The full index of our ship stamp archive

IMO / GUVERNOREN and MONT BLANC

Postby aukepalmhof » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:12 pm

tmp20C.jpg
Click image to view full size
Built as cargo and livestock carrier by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for the White Star Lines.
01 January 1889 launched under the name RUNIC.
Tonnage 4.639 gross, 3.122 net, dim. 131.27 x 13.77 x 9.14m.
Powered by one 3-cyl triple expansion steamengine, manufactured by the ships builder, 424 nhp., speed 13 knots.
1889 Completed.

21 February 1889 sailed for her maiden voyage from Liverpool to New York. She and her sister the CUFIC were the first livestock carriers of the White Star Lines.
Carried general cargo outward and returned home with around 1000 life cattle.

1895 Sold to the West India & Pacific SS Co., renamed TAMPICAN.
31 December 1899 transferred to F. Leyland & Co., not renamed.
The same year reboilered, still in the service from Liverpool to New York.
1912 Sold to H.E.Moss & Co., Liverpool, not renamed.
Immediately sold to South Pacific Whaling Co., Christiania (now Oslo), renamed in IMO.
Converted in a whale oil tanker for Antarctic whaling service.

During the First World War was she chartered by the Belgian Relief Commission.
06 December 1917 when she was in ballast steaming across Halifax Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada outward bound with destination New York came she in collision with the French ship MONT BLANC around 08.45 a.m., which was loaded with ammunition and inward bound.
The IMO struck the MONT BLANC abreast of the forward hold, causing some barrels of the 35-ton benzol, carried as deck cargo, to ignite the picric acid in the hold below.
The crew of the MONT BLANC fully aware of the dangers of the cargo on board abandoned the vessel, leaving the blazing MONT BLANC drifting in the stream. The fire attracted many spectators to the waterfront, and she drifted into Halifax’s Pier 6.
Some vessels tried to put a towline on board the burning vessel, and to tow her away from the pier, but at
09.00 the MONT BLANC erupted causing the greatest man made explosion before the Atomic bomb. The blast was felt 120 miles away.
Most part of the densely populated suburb of Richmond was flattened, and within a 16-mile radius 1.630 buildings were destroyed. Only two vessels were lost the MONT BLANC and a wooden schooner the LOLAR, all other damaged vessels in port were later repaired.
Officially 1.963 people were killed, with 9.000 injured and 199 blinded by flying glass, although the casualties aboard the ships in the harbour bring the death toll closer to 3.000.
The captain and the pilot and 5 of de crew of 41 on board the IMO were killed during the explosion, she was hurled across the stream, with most of her upper structure ripped away, and grounded.
After four months the IMO was refloated and towed to New York for repair.
1918 She was rebuilt in a whale factory ship, renamed in GUVERNOREN.

30 November 1921 during heavy fog she ran aground on the rocks at Cow Bay, two miles off Cape Carysfort on East Flakland, all crew were saved.
Salvage attempts were made but the GUVERNOREN was not refloated, and salvage work was halted on 03 December 1921, and she was abandoned to the sea.
Today the wreckage is still there from the waterline up, and lying on her starboard side.


The other ship on fire as seen on the stamp must be the MONT BLANC. The design is wrong, the fire started in the forward hold, and not as seen on the stamp on the afterpart of the vessel.

Built as a cargo vessel under yard No 460 by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co., Ltd. Middelsbrough, U.K. for the Soc. Générale de Transport Maritimes á Vapeur, Marseille.
Launched under the name MONT BLANC.
Tonnage 3.279 gross, 2.251 net, dim. 320 x 44.8 x 15.3ft.
Powered by a triple expansion steam engine 247 nhp. Speed 9.5 knots, one propeller.
June 1899 delivered to owners.

1906 Sold to E. Anquetil, Rouen, France.
1915 Sold to G Petit, Rouen.
1916 Sold to Cie Générale Transatlantique, St Nazaire.

06 December 1917 on a voyage from New York to Halifax under command of Captain Aime Le Medec loaded with a cargo of around 5.000 ton high explosives, she came in collision with the outward bound Norwegian IMO, both ships were under pilot control, and there was plenty of room and it visibility was good.
When both ships approached each other there was a lot of confusion, and a collision happened.
After some barrels of benzol loaded on deck of the MONT BLANC ignited, the crew on board aware of the dangers of the cargo abandoned the vessel and rowed hard for the shore, and just after she landed about 20 minutes later the MONT BLANC did exploded at 09.05 a.m. and she was disintegrated into a mass of wreckage.

Only one men of the crew of the MONT BLANC was lost.

Falkland Islands 2005 £1.20 sg?, scott?


Source: North Atlantic Seaway by Bonsor. Dictionary of Disasters at sea during the age of steam by Hocking. Some web-sites. http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mma/AtoZ/imo.html http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mma/Ato/montblanc.html (A google search gives plenty of sites on this explosion.)
Register of Merchant ships completed in 1899.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 4596
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 39 guests

Sponsored Links