Halas

The full index of our ship stamp archive
john sefton

Halas

Post by john sefton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:06 pm

Built in 1915 by Fairfeld at Glasgow,launched as the RECHID PASHA for Turkish owners but purchased at the outbreak of the First World war and commissioned in the Royal Navy as a despatch vessel and renamed WATERWITCH.
Of 400 tons with an overall length of 165ft. and a beam of 26ft.
Sold In 1921 to the Turkish Government and renamed BOSPHORUS No. 71.
In 1954 she was again renamed HALAS under the ownership of the Deniz Balik (The Turkish Maritime Bank) and used as a passenger ferry on stages between the Boshphorus, Sea of Marmord and Istanbul. She was renamed HALAS 71 in 1972, and is now known as HALAS

SSS Log Book October 1988

Stamp Issue of 1961. Turkey SG1464
Attachments
SG1464
SG1464

aukepalmhof

Re: Halas

Post by aukepalmhof » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:14 pm

She was ordered under the name RESIT PASA (No73) also given as RICHID PASHA. Built under yard No 502.
17 October 1914 launched as HMS WATERWITCH.
Tonnage 584 grt, 363 nrt.
April 1915 completed.

1923 Sold to Chirket-Haire - Bosphorus Steam Navigation Co., Istanbul, renamed HALAS (No71) .
1945 Sold to T.C. Münakalat Vekaleti Devlet Denizyollari ve Limanlari Isletme U.M., Istanbul,renamed BOSPHORUS No 71
1952 Sold to Denizcilik Bankasi, T.A.O., Istanbul, not renamed.
1954 Renamed HALÂS (No 71).
1985 Sold and modified as yacht and cruise vessel, renamed HALÂS.
2009 In service as passenger cruise vessel, owned by Il-Tur Isletmeleri, Istanbul. IMO No 5140697.

Waterwitch

Post by Waterwitch » Thu May 27, 2010 8:34 pm

My grandfather Lt JE Loveluck was made master of HMS Waterwitch in Jan 1918. He must have been on his way home from Bombay where the first balloon ship HMS Manica was decommisioned & sold off in Aug 1917. However the intended new master of the Waterwitch Lt Philip Bisson was killed off Greece a week before when the Louvain was torpedoed. Acorrding to my mother the body of theTurkish sultan (must have been Jul 1918) was carried on the ship from one part of Turkey to another for his funeral. This was part of attempts to get Turkey to give up the war. I have never found any UK public docs to prove this and the Turkish award JEL was given was stolen soon afterwards. I drove to Turkey in 1961 in my little 1932 Morris Minor tourer, but my grandmother did not tell me anything about these events! My mother who was born a few days before a torpedo went under the Manica & blew up HMS Triumph at Gallipopli, had thought that the Waterwitch was at E Africa in 1916-17, but that was the Manica! I have several photos of both ships a couple of the Witch at the same castle as on the stamp. I did buy the set of stamps from SG on the Strand a few years ago for £2 when the cat value was 50p!!
HMS Waterwitch at Rumeli ab 1918 150dpi of 4x3 print ex JEL Ep3170.jpg
How is it known that the stamp is Halas/Waterwitch?

In 2007 I had 5 days on Halas with my wife, son and girl friend. They had the best cabin that we were supposed to have, but as they got engaged a week later they are forgiven!
A truly wonderful ship!

I also drove across Turkey in 1965 in my Mini-Cooper on my way to Egypt, but still did not know about JEL's exploits at Gallipoli and Istanbul. I do intend to visit Gallipoli in my 1927 R-R (I've towed my old caravan to Poland 3 times as well as Sweden, Alps etc. Last year I drove the car (solo) to Italy for no 2 son's wedding.

Waterwitch

Post by Waterwitch » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:09 pm

Sorry - but having checked various photos of mine & on www and having discussed the picture of "Halas at Rumeli" with experts of the Salonika campaign, I am certain now that the photo was taken at Salonika, where she served 1916-17. I had not been aware of the White Tower at Salonika!!

I still don't know how you know the ship on this stamp is Halas.

At present Halas is at her berth in Istanbul, but she has been past Gallipoli this year to the west cost of Turkey.