SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

DUTCH SHIP RUNNING OUT OF THE HARBOUR painting

This stamp is designed after a painting from the Flemish painter Andries van Eertvelt (1590-1655) see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andries_van_Eertvelt
The painting, “A Dutch ship running out of the harbour” is now in the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich, Great Britain.
The vessel depict is not identified, and will depict a Dutch war-cargo vessel of that time.

Paraguay 1972 50c sg?, scott 1431.

HYMAN G. RICKOVER SSN-709 (USA)

Built in 1981-'83 by General Dynamics Corporation, Groton, Connecticut for the US Navy.
laid down:24 July 1981, Launched:27 August 1983, Commissioned: 21 July 1984.
Los Angeles-class submarine, Displacement, Surfaced: 5748 t. Submerged: 6123 t. Length: 360', Beam: 33', Draft: 29', Speed, Surfaced 25 kn. Submerged 30+ kn. Depth limit 950'. Complement:129, Armament, four 21" torpedo tubes aft of bow can also launch Harpoon and Tomahawk ASM/LAM missiles & MK-48 torpedoes; Combat Systems, AN/BPS-5 surface search radar, AN/BPS-15 A/16 navigation and fire control radar, TB-16D passive towed sonar arrays, TB-23 passive "thin line" towed array, AN/BQG-5D wide aperture flank array, AN/BQQ-5D/E low frequency spherical sonar array, AN/BQS-15 close range active sonar (for ice detection); MIDAS Mine and Ice Detection Avoidance System, SADS-TG active detection sonar, Type 2 attack periscope (port), Type 18 search periscope (starboard), AN/BSY-1 (primary computer); UYK-7; UYK-43; UYK-44, WLR-9 Acoustic Intercept Receiver, ESM; Propulsion System, S6G nuclear reactor one propeller at 35,000 shp.
Decommissioned: 14 December 2006, fate: to be disposed of by submarine recycling.

USS HYMAN G. RICKOVER (SSN-709), a Los Angeles-class submarine, was the first ship of the United States Navy to be named for Admiral Hyman G. Rickover, pioneer of the nuclear Navy, and the only Los Angeles-class submarine not named after a United States city or town. It was initially to be named the USS PROVIDENCE however, following the retirement of Admiral Rickover, its name was reassigned prior to official christening. SSN-719 was later given the name USS PROVIDENCE.

The contract to build her was awarded to the Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics Corporation in Groton, Connecticut on 10 December 1973 and her keel was laid down on 24 July 1981. She was launched on 27 August 1983 sponsored by the Admiral's wife, Mrs. Eleonore Ann Bednowicz Rickover (whose first name is found in a wide variety of spellings, including Eleanore, Elenore, and Eleanor; Eleonore is used on the Admiral's gravestone[1]).

The RICKOVER was commissioned on 21 July 1984 with Captain Fredrik Spruitenburg in command. A commemorative plaque honoring the ship's namesake was placed within the sub after commissioning with the poem "Admiral Rickover," an eight-line tribute by writer Ronald W. Bell. The poem appears below, provided by the author and with his permission:

ADMIRAL RICKOVER
Possessed of a purpose
He forged a path
Across a frontier
Untried and new
Clinging to his course
He met the task
Threescore and more
He served for you.

(USA 2000, 33 c. StG.?)
Internet.

TOKELAU TRANSPORT

Tokelau issued on 4 May 1983 six stamps showing means of transport in the Tokelau Islands. Tokelau consist of three atolls and the transport of goods and people is mostly over the water by vessels in 1983.

The outrigger canoe depict on the 5s stamp have not changed much over the centuries, and can still be seen on the beaches of Tokelau. The 5 Sene stamps shows a canoe returning under sail power from a fishing trip outside the reef. More wooden canoes are found on Atafu than on the other islands because according to legend the atoll was blessed with an abundance of kanava trees, the wood which is used for building the canoes. The kanava tree is sufficiently thick, durable, water resistant and hard, and canoes built of this wood can last over a hundred years.
The vaka depict on this stamp of Tokelau can be paddled or sailed, she is stepping a single forward-raking mast to which a triangular sail was set, lateen-fashion; lower edge boomed; forward part tacked near the bow.
Reported lengths 7 – 11m. More info on the type is given on:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14019&p=16156&hilit=outrigger+canoe#p16156

The whale boat depict on the 18 sene. Was a large heavy wooden vessel propelled by oars. It was the early method of conveying cargo and people and all kinds of cargo from shore to ship over the reef, and was only recently replaced by the aluminium whale boat. The boat shown on the stamp is preserved at Atafu. (A google search in 2017 could not find the whale boat.)
More on the whale boats is given: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14383

The 23 sene depict an aluminium whaleboat who replaced the wooden whale-boats. She are propelled by outboards engines, this boat is capable of conveying many people and all kind of cargo from ship to shore. Sea conditions are critical to cargo-handling, and it is not uncommon for boats to capsize in the surf or strike the reef.
The “alia” fishing boat on the 34 sene stamp is a catamaran twin hulled aluminium craft, now being (1983) introduced to the Tokelau fishing fleets. The stamp shows men preparing for night fishing. The first “alia” catamaran fishing craft was developed in Samoa and were built of plywood designed by the FAO in conjunction with a Danish-funded fisheries development project in the mid-1970s. Built by local yards in Samoa. The first 120 craft were constructed in plywood, thereafter several hundred more were built from welded aluminium in the early to mid-1980s for use as a fishing vessel in the South Pacific Islands. Most are used in Samoa and some were exported to other South Pacific Islands.
The catamarans are used for fishing near the coast and in the lagoons. The Tokelau “alias” have a length of 8.9 metre and are powered by a Johnson outboard engine with a power of 35 hp. she carries a standby outboard also from Johnson of 20 hp.
If she still are in service in 2017 I could not find out.

Source http://www.fao.org/docrep/006/y5121e/y5121e09.htm

The reefer vessel FRYSNA is depict on the 63 sene stamp: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8937&p=16923&hilit=frysna#p16923

The 75 sene stamp depicts the McKinnon (Goose) seaplane, who in 1983 made a monthly call at Tokelau from Samoa. As shown on the stamp she is a plane, when on the water she is a watercraft.

Source: New Zealand Philatelic Bulletin no 29 1983. Internet.
Tokelau 1983 5s/75s sg 91/96, scott?

Passover Hagggadah

Passover is a festival of freedom.

It commemorates the Israelites’ Exodus from Egypt, and their transition from slavery to freedom. The main ritual of Passover is the seder, which occurs on the first two night (in Israel just the first night) of the holiday — a festive meal that involves the re-telling of the Exodus through stories and song and the consumption of ritual foods, including matzah and maror (bitter herbs). The seder’s rituals and other readings are outlined in the Haggadah — today, many different versions of this Passover guide are available in print and online, and you can also create your own.

The central Passover practice is a set of intense dietary changes, mainly the absence of hametz, or foods with leaven. (Ashkenazi Jews also avoid kitniyot, a category of food that includes legumes.) In recent years, many Jews have compensated for the lack of grain by cooking with quinoa, although not all recognize it as kosher for Passover. The ecstatic cycle of psalms called Hallel is recited both at night and day (during the seder and morning prayers). Additionally, Passover commences a 49-day period called the Omer, which recalls the count between offerings brought to the ancient Temple in Jerusalem. This count culminates in the holiday of Shavuot, the anniversary of the receiving of the Torah at Sinai.

Matzah, or unleavened bread, is the main food of Passover. You can purchase it in numerous stores, or you can make your own. But the holiday has many traditional, popular foods, from haroset (a mixture of fruit, nuts, wine, and cinnamon) to matzah ball soup — and the absence of leavening calls upon a cook to employ all of his/her culinary creativity.

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/passover-2017/

CLARENCE CROCKETT (USA)

This vessel is a 13.60m. (44.6')long two-sail bateau, or V-bottomed deadrise type of centerboard sloop, commonly referred to as a skipjack. She was built in 1908 in Deep Creek, Virginia, and has sailed in the oyster-dredging fleet since then. She is built in typical Bay fashion using cross-planked construction methods. She has a beam of 4.48m. 14.7') and a depth of 0.91m. (3.0') with a net registered tonnage of 7. She carries a typical skipjack rig of jib-headed mainsail and large jib. The vessel has a longhead (clipper) bow and a square transom stern. The wooden hull is painted the traditional white and is sheathed with metal against ice at the waterline. This vessel has a longhead bow with a straight, slightly raking stem and a square, or transom, stern. The transom is steeply raking with the rudder hung outboard on pintles and a jig for the pushboat to the starboard side. There are guards on the hull to protect it from the dredges. The single mast is slightly raked aft and finished bright. The mast is rigged with double shrouds, adjusted by turnbuckles rather than the more traditional deadeyes, a forestay, and a jibstay. There is a topping lift leading to the end of the boom, which is jawed to the mast. Both mainsail and jib are furled by means of lazyjacks. The mainsail is jib-headed and laced to the boom. The large jib carries a club on its foot. The bowsprit, rigged with double chain bobstays and chain bowsprit shrouds. is slightly bowed down and is painted white. In addition to its sail rig the skipjack carries a motorized pushboat, suspended over the stern on davits. The vessel is flush-decked with several deck structures. These include: a wheel-box located against the after rail, a cabin trunk with an added "doghouse" with six small horizontal windows and a full-length door; and a small fore hatch. The cabin has a single round port on either side. There is a box covering the winder engines and a sampson post, with winch heads, on the foredeck. The deck is surrounded by a low pinrail atop a solid lograil forward, and a higher pinrail aft. The boat is open amidships where the dredges come aboard over rollers. Other gear includes oyster dredging equipment--dredges, winders, and winder engines. Significance: This vessel is significant as being one of the 36 surviving traditional Chesapeake Bay skipjacks and a member of the last commercial sailing fleet in the United States. Out of a fleet of hundreds of skipjacks that worked Bay waters in the early years of the 20th century, today only this small number remain to carry on the tradition of working sail. The skipjack evolved as a distinct type of Bay vessel in the 1890s as a cheaper-to-construct alternative to the earlier bugeyes and other traditional framed craft, in a period when shipbuilding costs were rising and the oyster catch was diminishing. The type was devised by enlarging (to 25' to 60') the hull of the ordinary, unframed, square-sterned Bay crabbing skiff, and giving it a deadrise bottom, a-deck, a cabin, and a sloop rig. The result--with its unframed, hard chine, cross-planked, V-bottom-proved inexpensive to build, easy to repair, and could be constructed by a competent house carpenter. Skipjacks were specifically designed as oyster dredge boats, with wide beams and low freeboard lending stability and providing a large working space on deck. The single masted rig, with sharp-headed mainsail and large jib, was easy to handle, powerful in light winds, and handy in coming about quickly for another pass over the oyster beds. CLARENCE CROCKETT is of interest as being one of the older skipjacks still dredging in the Chesapeake fleet. She was built in 1908 in Deep Creek, Virginia following traditional Bay-area design and construction methods. She has worked in the oyster-dredging fleet since her building and is presently based at Deal Island. The vessel is one of the 19 surviving working skipjacks to have been built previous to 1912, although, like the other members of the fleet, she has been much repaired over the years. A most recent addition includes an added "doghouse" with windows and a full-length door, an improvement designed to make the helm more comfortable for the skipper.

(USA 1988, 22 c. StG.2339)
Internet.

FLACH submarine 1866

The Santiago Times of 23 August 2007 has the following on the submarine FLACH:
Between 1864 and 1866 Chile and Peru fought Spain in a war that began when the later seized Peru’s guano-rich Chincha Islands. As part of the war effort, then Chilean President José Joaquín Pérez commissioned the construction of a submarine, only a few of which had ever been built anywhere in the world.

The president’s request actually resulted in two submarine prototypes; one designed and built by a man named Gustavo Heyermann, the other by Flach. Heyermann’s vessel, unfortunately, sank on its maiden voyage. FLACH’s sub, however, seemed to work quite well – at least during several days of initial testing.

Designed to protect Valapariso harbor from attack (the Spanish fleet in fact bombarded and leveled the city on Jan. 31, 1866), FLACH’s pedal-powered submarine was equipped with two cannons, one built right into the nose of the vessel. Built entirely of steel, it was 12.5 meters long, beam 1.5 meters and weighed an estimated 100 tons. Displacement ca 50 tons.

Wikipedia give on the submarine:
FLACH was the first submarine designed and built in Chile in 1866. It was lost on a test run the same year, and is believed to lie on the seabed of the bay of Valparaiso.
History
The FLACH was built in 1866 at the request of the Chilean government, by Karl FLACH, a German engineer and immigrant. It was the fifth submarine built in the world and, along with a second submarine, was intended to defend the port of Valparaiso against attack by the Spanish navy during the Chincha Islands War. (The second vessel, built by Gustavo Heyermann, sank on its maiden voyage.)
Loss
On 3 May 1866, after several days of successful testing, Karl Flach, his son, and nine other Chilean and German crewmen boarded the submarine for another test run. During the test, the submarine sank for unknown reasons; it is now thought to lie at a depth of about 50 meters (164 feet) within the bay of Valparaiso. The FLACH was located two days after the sinking by seamen from the English frigate HMS LEANDER, and a diver named John Wallace was able to see and draw the wreck, which was buried nose-down in the bay's sediment. According to some contemporary sources, an attempt to raise the submarine failed because of its burial.
Present location
The Chilean Navy, with support from others, has searched for the submarine and intends to raise it after finding it, even though there is as yet no agreement on what to do with the remains of the eleven bodies thought to be inside. A finding of an object that appears to be the FLACH was reported in El Mercurio de Valparaiso on 25 April 2007. However, the finding has not been confirmed, because, as of August 2007, sediment still has to be cleared away from the object.

Sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLACH_(submarine)
Comoro Islands 2008 300 fc sg?, scott?
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Protector-class inshore vessel

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Protector-class inshore vessel

Postby D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:12 pm

nieuw zeeland.jpg
Click image to view full size
pukaki f1.jpg
Click image to view full size
HMNZS PUKAKI (P 3568) ROTOITI (P 3569) HMNZS TAUPO (P 3570) HMNZS HAWEA (P 3571)

Builders:BAE Systems Australia (then Tenix Shipbuilding), Whangarei, for the Royal New Zealand Navy. Cost:NZ$35.8 million (per vessel, 2008)
Built:2005–2008, in service:2009–present
Completed:4, Active:4
Type:Inshore patrol boat
Displacement:340 tonnes (loaded) Length:55 m. (180’) Beam:9 m. (30’) Draught: 2.90 m. (9’ 6”) 2 MAN B&W 12VP185 engines, each rated at 2,500 kW at 1,907 rpm. ZF 7640 NR gearboxes, 2 controllable pitch propellers, top speed 25 kn. Patrol speed 16 kn.
Range:3,000 nm.
Boats & landing: craft carried:2 x RHIB with diesel-powered three-stage jet units
Complement:36 (includes 4 government agency staff and up to 12 others)
Armament:3 × 12.7 mm machine guns, small arms.

The Protector-class inshore patrol vessel (also known as the Rotoiti-class and the Lake-class) is a ship class of inshore patrol vessels (IPVs) of the Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN) which replaced the RNZN's Moa-class patrol boats in 2007–2008. All four vessels are named after New Zealand lakes.
Following long-running Navy retention problems in the wake of NZDF "civilianisation", two of the four vessels have been tied up, inactive, in a 'Reduced Activity Period' for long periods since 2013. It was announced on 14 April 2016 that some of the vessels might be sold.
Conceived as part of Project Protector, the Ministry of Defence acquisition project to acquire one multi-role vessel, two offshore and four inshore patrol vessels. The Project Protector vessels were to be operated by the RNZN to conduct tasks for and with the New Zealand Customs Service, the Department of Conservation, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Ministry of Fisheries, Maritime New Zealand, and New Zealand Police. The future duties will include maritime surveillance and boarding, support to civilian agencies such as the customs service and search and rescue duties.

The ships were built in Whangarei by BAE Systems Australia (formerly Tenix Shipbuilding), and are based on a modified search and rescue vessel for the Philippine Coast Guard, with a different superstructure design. The cost for the four vessels was planned to be NZ$100 million. Friction stir welding was used in the construction of the superstructure, and Donovan Group being the first New Zealand company to use the technique, which is credited as having won them the contract for this part of the vessel's construction.

The IPVs will normally be used for inshore tasks within 24 nautical miles of the coastline. However, they will have operational ranges of 3,000 nautical miles. Together with their improved speed, this will be sufficient to intercept, for example, large off-shore fishing trawlers working illegally in New Zealand waters. Each vessel was intended to achieve 290 available patrol days per year.

The ships were intended to have the ability to patrol (including receiving vertical replenishment) in up to sea state 5 (seas rough, waves 2.5–4m) and have the ability to survive in conditions of up to sea state 8 (seas very high, waves 9–14m). However, boat deployment and recovery will be limited to sea state 4 (seas moderate, waves 1.25–2.5m). These parameters are much more capable than the Moa Class which they replace. The shipbuilder claims "the vessel is more than capable of extending the Crown's operational envelope to southern ocean patrol duties".

(New Zealand 2016, in margin of the sheet)
Internet.
D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen
 
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 13 guests

cron