I'se the B'y That Builds the Boat

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

I'se the B'y That Builds the Boat

Post by aukepalmhof » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:32 pm

Canada issued in 1993 four stamps which shows us some folk songs, two of this songs have a maritime connection.
Before modern technology came into this fishing villages and harbors, which is not that long ago. Fishermen worked very hard from the morning before dawn until after dark. They were not only fishing for cod, but they also had to knit and repair nets, and made their own sails, or traps for catching wild. They often built their own boat. The hard life existence is told in their lyrics which are called “ditty songs”. This ditties tell the story of such tragic moments of shipwreck, which very often occurred in the history of Newfoundland.

One of Canada's authorities on folk music, Edith Fowke, defined folk songs this way: "A genuine folk song is not a song written within recent memory for commercial profit, but rather a song handed down by oral tradition, usually of unknown authorship and found in more than one version - since as with anything passed on by word of mouth or ear, no two people remember it exactly the same way." Canadians have a rich trove of folk music and these important links with our past are now celebrated in four commemorative stamps, each featuring a different song. This is the fourth and last issue in the popular Canadian folklore series. One stamp is dedicated to the Newfoundland dance ditty, "I'se the B'y That Builds the Boat." This tune reflects the Newfoundlander's close links to the sea. And like all folk songs, it is rooted in the experience of the common people. Dr. Leslie Bell first documented this song in the late 1920s - early, and introduced it to the rest of the country via the Leslie Bell Singers recordings. The song also appeared in "Folk Songs of Canada", and many other folk music publications.
Historical Notice Reference
Canada Post Corporation. Canada's Stamps Details, No. 11, 1993, p. 19.
The song you can find on: https://www.superaje.com/~bma384/hands/ ... etheby.htm

Canada 1993 43c sg1566, scott1493.
Attachments
Image (37).jpg